October 7 Woman had broken hip in care home

on Friday 7 October 2011
I placed my card in the reader and realised almost at once it was too early. The swollen face on the raised platform before me narrowed her slits of eyes.
" I've given up, don't bother any more telling em to wait, just let them work it out for themselves."
I apologised and desperately searched for a suitable piece of small talk, to smooth over the tension between us.
" huh, yeah, guess you have to "
A poor attempt but at least it made sense, she smiled back, ripped off a reciept which she layed aside and then a second which was handed over.
Turning to leave I walked into a display of poor quality gadgets and oversized chocolate bars.
" I can't help you luv, did my hip in , at the nursing home, can you believe it, no wonder I'm a miserable old sod, eh? "
I was willing to bet her disposition hadn't radically changed since this incident, but thought better of it.
" They really are awful places aren't they, absolute hideous "
A single tear, I saw it briefly before the armour plating came up once more.
" I'm in one of those moods, can't even be nice to myself so god help the rest of you!"
I'll not be going back there in a hurry.

email me

Followers

Search